1. Vivien Leigh, a British actress, won both Oscars for her portrayal of Southern women. She earned her first Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind. She earned her second Oscar as Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire.
|Vivien as Scarlett in Gone With the Wind|
3. She was the first British actress to win an Academy Award for Best Actress.
|Vivien and Oscar, 1940|
5. According to Laurence Olivier's son, Tarquin, Olivier experienced a little bit of jealousy over her win and his loss (for Best Actor for Wuthering Heights): On their way home, he grabbed her Oscar and 'It was all I could do to restrain myself from hitting her with it. I was insane with jealousy.' (1)
|Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier|
|Vivien dressed as Cleopatra, March 1952|
|Bette Davis, George Sanders, Karl Malden (Best Supporting Actor), Greer Garson and Humphrey Bogart (Best Actor)|
8. Harry Cohn presented Vivien's Oscar to her later that year in London.
|Vivien Leigh and Harry Cohn|
10. While Vivien was recovering from her breakdown and Olivier was in Italy, making a movie, thieves broke into their London home, Durham Cottage. They stole her Oscar for A Streetcar Named Desire, along with silverware and clothing.
|Vivien as Blanche in A Streetcar Named Desire|
2. 1952 Oscars' video of Greer Garson accepting award